ABOUT YOUR LIBRARY
Butler Area Public Library's History.
On February 16-17, 1894, the Butler Area Public Library was opened by the Literary Club, a group of 123 Butler women. In 1917, the library became the recipient of a grant from Andrew Carnegie, becoming one of the original Carnegie libraries. With funds from the Carnegie grant, the Butler Area Public Library opened at its present location, 218 N. McKean Street, in 1921.
The library underwent major renovations in 1966 and 2003. Since then, and thanks to a number of generous estate gifts, we were able to add a new roof to the library. We also created a new music center and renovated our young adult area. In addition, we built a new sun room and outdoor courtyard. All these physical changes allow us to serve our members better and to fulfill our mission in the community.
Learn more about our 125+ year history here.
Through the years, thousands of area residents have discovered the beauty of literature, the significance of history, the power of technology, and the value of all other subjects that tell their stories here.
The Butler Area Public Library is a community information center with a wide range of resources. We are the headquarters library in the Butler County Federated Library System and serve as the county-wide resource for library services.
Youth Services Librarian
Information Services Manager
Adult Services Manager
Information Services Assistant
2022 BOARD MEETINGS
James Lockhaiser, Jr.
Vice President / Butler Township Representative
Friends of the Library Representative
Butler City Representative
All board meetings begin at 6:30 PM
January 26 - Annual Meeting at 6:00 PM
July - No Board Meeting
August - No Board Meeting
* Indicates virtual meetings
HOURS & LOCATION
218 N. McKean St.
Butler, PA 16001
Phone: (724) 287-1715
Fax: (724) 285-5090
TTY: (724) 287-1718