The Weir Genealogy Room
In 1987, the Edgar Weir family provided for the creation of a resource room where family and local history could be researched. Located on the second floor of the Butler Area Public Library, the room is available by elevator or stairs. Here you will find the largest genealogical collection in Butler County.
What Resources are in the Library and Online?
• Beginner guides to genealogical research and genealogical dictionaries.
• 3000 volumes, maps and gazetteers.
• 1000 rolls of census, newspaper and probate microfilm.
• State of the art microfilm and microfiche readers and copiers
• An online obituary index dating from 1818 to the present with over 100,000 names.
• 400 family histories and 50 linear feet of family files available with staff assistance.
Most resources are searchable in our Online Catalog!
Obituary Index Online!
Heritage Quest Access
Newspaper Photo Index
Historic Postcard Collection
• Please be as specific as possible when requesting research, especially concerning names and dates.
• Research requests are done on a first come, first served basis.
• You may phone or e-mail our genealogist if you have further questions.
Visiting? You Should Bring:
• Any materials to help guide your search and assist the genealogist in mapping a research strategy.
• Basic supplies of pencil, paper, paper clips or stapler.
• Quarters for the copier and parking meter.
Great Genealogy Websites
| Allegheny Valley Library Obituary Index
• Butler County Genealogical Society
• Butler County Historical Society
• Cyndi's List
• Ellis Island
• Genealogy Online
• Kindred Trails - Butler Genealogy